Grain-Free Vegan Beet Burgers
Whether you are a vegan, vegetarian, paleo or everything-ivore and live in the United States or have ever watched any of our commercials, you have probably craved a burger at some point. Because who doesn’t enjoy fantasizing about delicious burger juice dripping down your fingers as you devour every savory, satisfying bite? Well, I assure you that these grain-free, 100% plant-based beet burgers are exactly that – juicy, “meaty” (although completely meat-free) and really (really) delicious.
Not to mention all the health benefits. Beets are rich in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber (for improved digestion), and essential minerals like potassium (for healthy nerve and muscle function) and manganese (which is good for your bones, liver, kidneys, and pancreas). Beets also contain natural nitrates, which help to increase blood flow, reduce blood pressure and increase energy.
I’ll keep this post short and sweet, and let the how-to video below and photo above speak for themselves. Happy beet burger devouring!
Special thanks to Colin Leibold for the photo and video production.
grain-free vegan beet burgers
- YIELD: 5 burgers
- PREP: 20 mins
- COOK: 8 mins
- READY IN: 28 mins
Grain-free, 100% plant-based beet burgers are juicy and satisfying. Make the patties in advance for quick and easy weeknight meals.
- 1 1/4 cup riced organic cauliflower see instructions below
- 1 organic white onion
- 1 cup mashed organic sweet potatoes or roasted butternut squash
- 1 cup raw organic red beets grated
- 2 Tbsp sesame tahini
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1/4 cup organic red onion minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- dash cayenne
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp coconut oil
- organic romain lettuce leaves
- organic hummus
- roasted organic red pepper
- organic avocado sliced
- organic Dijon mustard
- To make the cauliflower rice: Grate or use a food processor to finely chop a 1/2 head of cauliflower in to rice-size kernels. Finely mince 1/4 of a white onion and sauté in 1 tsp coconut oil until tender and clear. Add cauliflower, cover and sauté/steam for 7-10 minutes until tender.
- Mix all ingredients together until well combined with your hands, add salt and pepper to taste, and form into 4-5 patties.
- To cook beet burgers, heat 2 Tbsp. coconut oil in skillet on medium heat. Add patties and cook about 4 minutes until just starting to crisp on the outside. Flip over and cook another 4 minutes. Be careful that the coconut oil doesn't burn.
- Cut remaining white onion into thin rings and sauté in coconut oil over medium heat until caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Serve beet burgers between romaine lettuce leaves with organic hummus, caramelized onions, roasted red pepper, sliced avocado, and Dijon mustard.
- Beet burgers can be made in advance and stored in the fridge between small sheets of parchment paper or frozen. Defrost before cooking.