Cleansing Green Juice Zinger
Every morning is an opportunity for a fresh start. No matter what you did or how you ate yesterday, today is your day to love your body. And the next, and the next, and the next. When I wake up to each new day, before I start running through my positive affirmations and mental to-do list, I check in with my body. It has become my practice to begin by asking her a simple question: “What do you most desire to eat to set you up for optimum energy and clarity throughout the day?”
The first time I asked this question, my body didn’t have much to say. Or maybe I just wasn’t in the practice of hearing her. But in time, asking this same question, she has started to speak more and more clearly to me. Sometimes my body responds via a semi-conscious food craving or some spontaneous recipe inspiration. For example, when I wake up yearning for a big glass of pastured bone broth and a side of sautéed greens, I know my body is asking for nourishment and gentle gut healing.
Other mornings my body tells me her desires via mild symptoms – perhaps a slight headache or sluggish thinking. These are the days when I know she will benefit most from a cleansing green juice.
And so this detoxifying recipe was born.
This zesty internal body cleanser (those awesome vegetable fibers do wonders in scrub-scrub-scrubbing out your digestive system) is especially appropriate for springtime.
As the days get longer, we often feel an urge to clean out our homes, our habits, and our bodies to make space for new growth and development. Spring is a time for renewal and rejuvenation. And when we adapt our diets and lifestyles to align with the change in seasons, we improve digestion, balance immunity and increase positive energy.
So how does this Cleansing Green Juice Zinger enhance your body’s cleansing power?
- Kale (and other dark leafy greens) is packed full of nutrients and fiber, which is great for scrubbing out your digestive system
- Dandelion greens help aid in digestion and stimulate kidney and gallbladder function, two of your major detox organs
- Parsley (all varieties) is high in vitamin C, which is great for boosting immunity and reducing inflammation
- Ginger root is also an anti-inflammatory and immune booster
- Lemon increases stomach enzyme function, stimulating digestion, and activates the liver to support detoxification
- And hydrolyzed collagen from Vital Proteins (my favorite trusted brand for truly pastured, 100% grassfed beef collagen) dissolves easily in any liquid and supports healthy hair, skin, bones and joints, as well as a healthy digestive system and gut healing
Unlike a cold pressed juice where the fibers are discarded, when you make this Cleansing Green Juice Zinger in a high powered blender (Vitamix, Blendtec, Ninja, etc.), you are getting all the delicious and powerfully scrubbing vegetable fibers along with the juice. And you aren’t throwing away any excess vegetable pulp, helping to reduce food waste.
Considering that this magical cleanser takes less then 5 minutes to prepare, pour and clean up, it’s any easy addition to any busy lifestyle. If you’re really in a pinch for time in the morning, you can always chop your vegetables, throw them in your blender, put it covered in the fridge, then add filtered water (and hydrolyzed collagen) and blend in the morning. In just one minute your insides are squeaky clean and ready for your big day ahead!
Here’s to starting your days so fresh and so clean, clean!
cleansing green juice zinger
- YIELD: 2 cups (1 Servings)
- PREP: 5 mins
This zesty internal body cleanser is the perfect drink to kick-start your day feeling fresh and vibrant.
- 3 leaves organic kale any variety
- 2 stalks organic celery
- 1/4 organic cucumber
- 6 leaves organic dandelion
- 1 handful organic parsley
- 1 knob organic ginger root
- 1/2 organic lemon, peeled
- 1 Tbsp hyrdrolyzed grassfed collagen
- 1/4 organic green apple optional
- Remove the most starchy stalks on the kale and discard. Cut the celery stalks into 3 inch pieces and the cucumber into two-inch rounds. Peel the ginger with your knife and cut into small chunks.
- Place all ingredients in your high powered blender. Add the 1/4 apple if you want a slightly more sweet taste. If you can go without it, do. It's only purpose here is to add a little sweetness to balance the taste of the bitter greens.
- Add 2 cups filtered water to your blender. Blend on high until everything is completely liquified.
- Pour into a glass, using a large spoon as you pour to skim any foam. Enjoy!