Walnut Stuffed Coconut Date Rolls
Thanksgiving in the Rogers family home would not be complete with these traditional walnut stuffed dates, rolled in coconut. They are my absolute favorite appetizer to place around the bar or gathering space alongside a dish of olives and stuffed celery logs before we bring out the Thanksgiving feast. These are also excellent paired with red wine as a light snack. Our family used to roll these in white sugar, but when I stopped eating processed sugar 10 years ago, we traded out the sugar for unsulphured, unsweetened macaroon coconut instead. Although the coconut is a little more difficult to make stick to the dates, once you get it attached, it adds even more texture and flavor to the dates than sugar ever did.
Once you have licked your sticky date fingers and sampled one (or five) of these, I assure you that your friends and family will find these as delectable as my family has for years.
walnut stuffed coconut date rolls
- YIELD: About 30 stuffed dates (15 Servings)
- PREP: 20 mins
Sweet medjool dates stuffed with raw walnuts and rolled in coconut make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer or holiday treat.
- 1 lb. medjool dates
- 1/2 cup raw walnut halves
- 1/3 cup unsulphured, unsweetened macaroon coconut
- Split dates lengthwise to open partway and remove pits. Stuff with a walnut quarter and press back together to seal.
- Roll stuffed dates in macaroon coconut and plate. That's it!