Sometimes, even though we are pretty committed to a low sugar lifestyle, we still crave decadent alternatives to satisfy sweet cravings that pop up every now and again. Berries are a great primal diet-friendly food. We are particularly fond of blueberries, especially when we're looking to add some color to a dish. Blueberries have only 57 calories per 100 grams (and have a Glycemic Index (GI) value of 53), and they are full of antioxidants and other nutrients, making them a healthy low-glycemic choice.
Here, we combine liquid raw honey with fresh lemon juice, blueberries and chia seeds to make a versatile blueberry compote that is a fabulous complement to grain free biscuits or coconut ice cream.
- YIELD: About 1/2 cup
- PREP: 5 mins
- COOK: 51 mins
- READY IN: 56 mins
A refined sugar-free yet decadently sweet spread perfect atop coconut ice cream, or as shown here, coconut flour biscuits.
- 1/3 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 lemon fresh squeezed
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds finely ground
- Use coffee grinder to finely grind chia seeds. They should be the consistency of almond meal.
- Heat lemon juice and blueberries in small saucepan over low-medium heat. Use the back of your wooden spoon to smash the berries as you stir constantly.
- Bring berries just to boil, then remove from heat and stir in honey and ground chia seeds. The chia seeds will make the compote thicken nicely. Let cool slightly and serve. Can be stored up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Note: You can use whole chia seeds if you don't have a grinder. The consistency will be a little more like tapioca pudding.