Paleo Carnitas Tacos with Citrus Coleslaw and Fresh Guacamole
This recipe is a celebration of all things local. As I was peering into my CSA basket from Good Neighbor Gardens this week, picking through all the gorgeous winter greens, radishes and citrus, my mind was buzzing with creative energy. What can I create from all this seasonal abundance?
I opened my freezer and pantry to add to the inspiration. I wanted to make a dish from all things I already had in my kitchen. I pulled out a heritage pork shoulder from Cook Pigs in Julian, CA. Perfect! I’ve been eagerly awaiting the opportunity to put this beautiful pastured meat to good use. Have you ever seen marbling so gorgeous?
Cue the next morning, the pork shoulder is in my slow cooker seasoned with simple sea salt, fresh ground pepper, coriander and orange zest. I set it to cook on low for the next seven hours and turn my attention to the leafy green cabbage peeking out of my produce basket. This cruciferous wonder is the inspiration for my meal... Paleo Carnitas Tacos topped with Citrus Coleslaw and Fresh Guacamole.
There’s nothing I love more than spontaneous kitchen inventions, especially when 90% of my ingredients are coming from within 50 miles of my home (and all the produce sourced within biking distance).
I’ll let the photos speak for themselves while I’m chowing down over here. These turned out to be one of the most delicious things I’ve ever tasted. All credit goes to the farmers and growers committed to producing such nutrient dense food.
Enjoy this wildly delicious combination atop lettuce wraps or, as featured here, Paleo Tapioca Flour Tortillas (substitute butter for the olive oil in this recipe).
paleo carnitas tacos with citrus coleslaw and fresh guacamole
- YIELD: 8 tacos (4 Servings)
- PREP: 45 mins
- COOK: 7 hrs 0 min
- READY IN: 7 hrs 45 mins
Slow Cooked Pork Shoulder with Sweet Citrusy Coleslaw and Tangy Guacamole
- 2 lbs. pastured pork shoulder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 organic navel orange zested
- 1 head organic green cabbage
- 1/2 organic white onion
- 1 bunch organic green onions
- 1 bunch organic cilantro
- 1 organic tangerine zested
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 organic avocados
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 organic lime
- Put pork shoulder in slow cooker and sprinkle with 1 tsp coriander, sea salt, ground pepper and orange zest. Cover and cook on low heat for 7 hours.
- While pork begins to cook, slice cabbage into thin strips. Mince white onion, thinly slice green onion and coarsely chop cilantro. Toss together in a bowl with the tangerine zest, juice of the navel orange and tangerine, along with 1 tsp coriander, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to meld in refrigerator.
- When slow cook is complete, separate pork meat from liquid fat. Reserve lard and gelatin in your refrigerator for future cooking. Shred meat with a fork.
- Cut avocados in half and remove pits and skins. Sprinkle with cumin and juice of the lime, then mash until smooth.
- To serve, place carnitas inside a lettuce wrap or Paleo Tapioca Flour Tortilla, then top with Citrus Coleslaw and Fresh Guacamole.