I just love hosting cocktail and dinner parties. I mean, who doesn’t thrill at a reason to get a little fancy and impress your friends with your fabulous cooking and entertaining skills? Following a nutrient dense/Paleo lifestyle has only added to the fun. Each gathering is an opportunity to test out new recipes and to introduce attendees to the concept that whole foods can be beautifully presented, taste great, and make you feel fantastic. I like to think of hosting as the best kind of viral marketing for nutrient dense living. Party guests always ask for my recipes, and I direct them to Vivacious Dish. And every once in a while, someone takes enough interest in the eats to read more about the health principles that guide their creation. A party that promotes awareness of the nutrition-wellness connection is a win in my book.
When looking to diversify a spread with colorful options for various dietary restrictions and lifestyles (you know, all your vegan, kosher, and lactose friends), appetizers are the way to go. The options are endless, and small bites allow your guests to munch and socialize throughout the night without skipping a beat. There are also less dishes to wash at the end of the nigh, since handhelds only require a cocktail napkin at most. Oh yes, we’re even environmentally friendly and sleep promoting (less dishes=earlier to bed) with our party hosting. Now that’s some smart entertaining!
So, in honor of the benefits of a lively social life, I bring you these rich and beautiful Eggplant Rollups. These were such a hit at their barbecue debut last summer that people are still asking me about them today. Must be time to post the recipe. They’re vegan, dairy free, and Paleo friendly too.
Start by making your Cashew Cream Cheese. Then proceed with the recipe below as indicated.
- YIELD: 24 rollups (12 Servings)
- PREP: 30 mins
- COOK: 15 mins
- READY IN: 45 mins
Vegan and Paleo™ friendly Eggplant Rollups are a rich and beautiful appetizer for your next cocktail party.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1/2 cup cashew cream cheese
- 8 sundried tomatoes cut into slivers
- 6 leaves fresh basil
- coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare Cashew Cream Cheese following the recipe on Vivacious Dish. Set aside.
- Cut eggplants crossways into 1/4 inch thick circles. Lightly brush both sides of each circle with melted coconut oil. Place on a baking stone, ensuring that slices don't touch. Bake for 5 minutes, then flip over and bake for another 5 minutes or until soft, but not crisp. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- Chiffonade basil and cut sundried tomatoes into thin slivers.
- Drop a rounded teaspoon of Cashew Cream Cheese onto each eggplant round.
- Pick up each round and fold up edges as though you are making a mini eggplant taco. The Cashew Cream Cheese will keep the sides of the eggplant in place. Gently press a sundried tomato sliver and basil chiffonade into the top of each eggplant rollup.
- Plate and serve.