Dark Chocolate Paleo Pudding
After transitioning from the GAPS Introduction Diet to the full GAPS Diet (check out the FAQs, dark chocolate is in fact an approved food!), I was excited to get more creative again in the kitchen. I flipped through my recipe books this weekend looking for inspiration for Paleo desserts. It was a rainy weekend, which always reminds me of time spent hiding out in city cafes. I found a gem in my Spain cookbook by M. Teresa Segura: Natillas de chocolate, or Spanish-style chocolate custard. This comfort food reminded me of the stormy weekend afternoons I spent in my early 20's in Spain dipping churros into rich and creamy chocolate sauce and chatting with the Sevillanas about the latest football match. Any opportunity to recreate the flavors of those magical days is a win in my book. For this Paleo-approved, dairy-free version, I subbed out the milk for a combination of homemade organic coconut milk and sprouted nut milk, and sweetened with raw honey instead of sugar. The dark chocolate does have a little bit of organic sugar, but it's an indulgence after all, and a worthwhile one at that. Don't forget the dollop of organic coconut whipped cream to top it off. I recommend Native Forest as a great choice for organic coconut cream since it comes in a BPA-free can. It does contain a small amount of organic guar gum, with can be hard for some people to digest.
Serve it fireside with a glass of organic Spanish red wine - instant decadence! Just make sure you bring enough people over to share, because this Dark Chocolate Paleo Pudding is so creamy and rich that you may have a hard time not finishing the entire batch.
dark chocolate paleo pudding
- YIELD: 8 Servings
- PREP: 10 mins
- COOK: 20 mins
- READY IN: 3 hrs 30 mins
Sweetened with honey, the rich and decadent dark chocolate Paleo pudding with coconut whipped cream is an insanely rich indulgence
- 2 cups homemade organic coconut milk
- 2 cups homemade sprouted nut milk
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 4 large pasture raised egg yolks
- 1/2 cup raw organic honey
- 2 Tbsp organic coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp filtered water
- 4 oz organic dark chocolate 72% - 85% cocoa preferred
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 can organic coconut cream
- Place the milks, cinnamon and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and honey with a whisk in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, dissolve the coconut flour in the water and then whisk into the yolk mixture.
- Slowly whisk in the boiled milk mixture, and then pour back into the saucepan. Place the mixture over medium heat and add the chocolate, stirring constantly, until the chocolate melts completely and the mixture becomes thick (about 20 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour into small ramekins. Cool to room temperature and chill until ready to serve.
- Place coconut cream in Vitamix and bring up to highest speed. Whip for 10 seconds.
- Serve pudding with a dollop of whipped coconut cream. Garnish with a slivered cinnamon stick or orange zest and candied ginger.