Cranberry Orange Mini Galettes with Maple Candied Pecans (Grain Free)
Any grain-free, Paleo-friendly baker knows the challenge of making pastries with light, flaky crusts. Using almond and coconut flours, the result is often mushy or crumbly. Which is why I was thrilled to discover the magical combination of organic blanched almond flour, arrowroot powder and coconut/palm oil shortening. The result is an easy to work with (in the grain-free world at least) crust that when baked, is as light and flaky as you would expect from its traditional pie crust sister. As a testament to this, I took these to my office of unrestricted eaters and everyone said it was one of the best desserts they have ever had. Hooray! The cranberry orange filling is high in vitamin C and antioxidants and not too sweet, so its a lovely compliment to the maple candied nuts and slightly sweet pastry crust. And the coconut/palm oil shortening is rich in medium chain fatty acids: great building blocks for healthy hair, skin and nails. These oils have also been touted for their immune-boosting, energizing and inflammation-reducing properties.
So now you can feel great while you indulge. It's the Vivacious way!
From start to finish in just a few simple steps.
Roll out and cut the dough... martini optional
Add cranberry orange filling...
Fold up the edges...
Bake and serve!
cranberry orange with maple candied pecans grain-free galettes
YIELD: 9 mini pies (9 Servings)
PREP: 20 mins
COOK: 20 mins
READY IN: 40 mins
These tart and sweet hand pies features winter produce tucked away inside flaky and slightly sweet pastry crusts. They make a fabulous accompaniment to your morning coffee or as a crowd-pleasing holiday dessert. These delicious treats are vegan, gluten-free and Paleo friendly.
2 1/4 cups organic blanched almond meal
1/4 cup + 3 Tbsp arrowroot starch/flour plus additional for rolling
1 Tbsp organic coconut flour
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
7 heaping Tbsp palm/coconut oil shortening Nutiva is a good brand
1/4 cup + 4 Tbsp organic maple syrup
2 to 3 Tbsp cold water
1/2 cup raw pecans coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
16 ounces organic whole cranberries
2 organic oranges zested and juiced
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat 2 Tbsp shortening in medium cast iron skillet over medium heat until melted. Stir in 2 Tbsp maple syrup and cinnamon and heat until syrup starts to bubble and thicken slightly. Stir in pecans and cook 1-2 minutes more until pecans are coated and syrup thickens. Spread out on foil to cool.
- Stir together washed and sorted cranberries, orange juice/zest and 2 Tbsp maple syrup in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is warmed through. Continue cooking while smashing the cranberries in the pot with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook until mixture thickens to a jam-like consistency, then remove from stove to cool.
- Mix together flours, arrowroot starch and salt until well combined. Cut in remaining 5 Tbsp shortening with pastry cutter until small balls form. Stir in ¼ cup maple syrup, then add water, 1 Tbsp at a time, until the dough just starts to ball together.
- Sprinkle a parchment paper sheet generously with arrowroot flour, then press dough down slightly and sprinkle with more arrowroot. Roll out to 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Cut into circles with the top of a martini glass or cookie cutter.
- Drop 1 Tbsp of cranberry sauce in the center of each pastry dough circle, then use your fingers to fold up and seal around the edges. Sprinkle with candied pecans.
- Bake at 350F on parchment lined baking stones or sheets for 20-22 minutes until starting to just brown around the edges. Remove immediately to wire wraps to cool by sliding full parchment sheet onto each rack.